Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The tale of a Drunk Cupcake



So whats a girl to do after a morning with 5 kids, (4 of which are under the age of 5) an afternoon working in her severely neglected garden, and a night at zumba????? Reach for the liquor!


 Now I've always been a huge fan of Malibu and pineapple juice until this past summer when my big sister Lonise came out for a visit. While sitting out on the back porch enjoying the quite and a drink she tells me that our sister in law Shelley would make a drink just like it but it had something else in in. After a quick call home the whipped cream vodka came into the mix and oh how my life was complete! Since that day it has been my drink of choice. So I reach in the cabinet pull them out and decide not to drink them but to make a cupcake with them. I grab a bunch of ingredients, my notebook and a pen to write it down. We all know I'm really bad about measuring things normally I just throw a bit of this a bit of that in and wing it but with the plan of blogging about this adventure I made sure to pull out the measuring cups and log what I did. This was no easy task for me. I started with the thought of  pineapple upside down cake and went from there. So with that said... here goes nothing


Cake Ingrediants:
2c Flour
1 1/2c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup coconut flakes
1c diced pineapple
2 Tbsp Malibu rum
2tsp vanilla
1/2c Pineapple juice
1c sour cream
3 eggs 
Pre heat oven to 350. Mix all your dry ingredients then slowly add in the wet. Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for 25 minutes + or - until the cupcake is cooked through.



Once the are done baking pull them out and place on a cooling rack. While cupcakes are cooling we are going to make a Malibu simple syrup.

1/2 stick butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup malibu rum

Melt you butter over the stove

Add brown sugar and Malibu

Now let this all cook down int a syrup..

Next you will want to poke a bunch of holes in each cupcake. Be careful not to punch through the liner. This is going to let the Malibu syrup really get into you cake. 

Cover each cupcake with a generous amount of the Malibu syrup and let them sit until the are completely cool be for frosting them.





Now on to the frosting.

4c powdered sugar 
1c crisco
pinch of salt
1tsp vanilla
1 tbsp meringue powder
2 tbsp whipped cream vodka
2 tbsp pineapple juice + or - to get the consistency you want. 
I threw in 1/2c coconut at the end just to give it a little more flavor but thats up to you. you can add as much or as little as you want.

Once they are completely cool frost each cupcake and garnish them how ever you like or leave them as is. I chose to garnish with a piece of pineapple because well there is never enough pineapple! 


So why a drunk cupcake?? I figured this was a good trial for my moms night out and it was a safe use of the liquor for me. This way I dont go crazy and throw out all the calorie burning I did tonight. I say safe because, and I know this may sound weird, I hate cake. Just not my thing but I sure do love to make them!! I did have a few taste testers try them out and so far so good.. so try them out and let me now what you think! 


2 comments:

  1. Oh my yummyness I can't WAIT to try these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I did notice later was the cupcake sticking to the liner after the syrup was added. You should try spraying each liner with a little nonstick cooking spray to help avoid that problem. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete