Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bring on the exploding cake.....


Happy 4th of July! Ok so I know its only the 3rd but who's really counting right? Growing up a semi military brat the 4th of July was always something special to me. I say simi because my father was actually retired after 23 years of service before I was born so I wasn't shuffled around here or there I just grew up with a respect for our country and those who sacrifice every day for us.
As a child I was lucky to live right up the hill from where the town  fireworks were done so we never had to trek out anywhere home was the prefect location. Friends and family would hang out in the back yard with the grill working overtime a cold drink in hand and the hope of cooling off from that California heat! It was just always a laid back day of friends, food and fun.  When the sun would start to set we would grab a ladder, a few drinks, some snacks and climb onto the roof of the house to watch the show.  I cant even remember when the tradition started of sitting on the roof but it was something I always looked forward to doing and its something I miss every year now that I'm on the east coast! Although I miss the west coast and the family... here on the east coast we can actually buy fireworks and play with them!!! So in honor of the fourth of July today I thought I would share and feature my 4th of July cake from last year. What an adventure that was.
We were going to be attending a good friends bbq and I asked if I could bring anything. Of course she being the epic host said no we have everything just come and have fun. Well that's no fun so I ask if I can at least bring a cake as a surprise for the kids. She agreed and the wheels started turning. What to make what to make. So later that week I'm in Lowes trolling the aisles walking through plumbing and I see the PVC pipes... light goes off.. I need to add working fireworks to this cake. It is the 4th of july after all. So I snag a few pipes and head to the check out. The guy at the counter says to me.. looks like some one is doing some plumbing. I laugh and say nope I'm making a cake and putting fireworks in it. Total shock on his face.. nope didn't see that one coming now did ya??? I get home and my husband asks me what I have so I tell him my plan. He just looks at me, shakes his head and says " this is why you are not allowed to go into the hardware store alone. The ideas you come up with." Oh if he wasn't right. So I go about cutting my board for the base and baking my cake. I frost and crumb coat the cake and walk away to let it dry for a little while.... big mistake! Enter my 3 year old at the time.. Mommy I sweeping the kitchen and before I could even blink the handle of the broom hits the cake and all my hard work is sitting on the floor. I could have cried, it's 5pm the night before and I'm at square one. I was not about to disappoint the kids even though they had no idea it was coming I had to make it. So as quick as I can I whip up 4 more cakes and pray I get it all done in time. Just after midnight my husband comes down into the basement wondering why the band saw was on.  Yep that was me working cutting the pvc pipes and working on structure for the fireworks. At that point he knew I wasnt going to bed any time soon. So after a late night and a busy morning I had a cake. It wasn't exactly what I had planned and far from perfect but for less then 24 hours its was a pretty great cake! 
The kids loved it. Who am I kidding the adults loved it too. All and all I was pretty excited it worked out and after a show there was still a cake for everyone to enjoy! 



Avery inspecting my work :0)


 All the kids with the cake before we light it up. Yes I said all the kids because we all know the guys are nothing but over grown kids when fireworks come into the picture!



My husband got talked into doing the honors of lighting the fireworks. Maybe one day I'll learn how to set one up to electronically go off  :0) 


Happy Independence day! 


2 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss those 4th of July nights! Best seats EVER looking over the Swap Meet! I wonder if you can still watch from there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I'm not sure. One thing I am sure of is if they are still setting the fireworks off down the hill my mom is still propping that ladder for roof top seats.

      Delete