Sunday, July 1, 2012

Crochet Sandal tutorial

To kick off my new blog, I've decided to share a pattern for a pair of new born crocheted sandals I made yesterday. As a stay at home mother of four I hate nothing more then finding a pattern I like but you have to pay for it. Mostly because more often then not I cant spare the few dollars so I end up going with out or driving my self mad trying to recreate it on my own. Also because I am a self taught crocheter, I'm never sure if I'm going to understand the pattern with out reading it first. Maybe that is partly due to my dyslexia but patterns can be really hard for me to read. So to spare you all the frustration this one is FREE! Yes please feel free to sell any items you make using my pattern but you MAY NOT sell the pattern itself as is or with minor alterations. If you do sell the items please give me credit for the pattern and link back to this page. Also you MAY NOT use any of my pictures or AVERY GRACE PHOTOGRAPHY photos as your own with out written consent from myself or AVERY GRACE PHOTOGRAPHY. This actually writing a pattern down is a first for me, so I hope you can understand it. My biggest problem is when I crochet I tend to pick up a hook and start playing around crocheting and tearing apart my work over and over again until I am able to make what it is I have in my head. At this point half the time I have no clue how I actually made the finished product. I tried my best to log this pattern as I went along and I was sure to take lots of pictures. Well with that said, here goes nothing........


I used a G/ 3.25 hook for this pattern. Sole should be 4 inches toe to heal once completed.


Crochet Terms 
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet\
slst = slip stich
fpsc = front post single crochet
st(s) = stiches




R1:    Ch 15. Sc in the third st from hook. sc in the next 8 st. 5hdc in last st (from here on out you will be working in a round until the sole is complete) sc in next 8 st 3sc in end


R2:   sc in next 8 st, hdc, 2 hdc in next st, hdc, 2hdc in next st, hdc, 2 hdc in next st, hdc sc in next 10 st


R3:  sc in next 8 st, hdc in the next 3 st, 2 hdc in next st, hdc, 2hdc in next st, hdc, 2hdc in next st, hdc, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 st, sc in next 9 st


R4:  sc in each st around (33 st) Slst in next st.  slst in next 5 st. ( When working the opposite shoe turn after the first slst and then slst 5. thus making the slip stiches in the last five st you created not in the next five.. I hope this make since) Ch1 turn at this point the sole should be 4 inches.




R5: hdc in the next 11 st, ch 1 turn


R6: hdc in next 10 st, ch1 turn


R7: hdc in next 10 st, ch1 turn


R8: hdc in next 10 st, ch 15, sc in 6th st from hook, sc in each st (9 )working back to  the ankle of the shoe slst . fasten off and weave in ends.





Now to make the flower. I'm not going to post a ton of pictures until we get to attaching the flower. If you find the flower confusing I can post a tutorial on how to make it step by step. Just let me know if you find it confusing.  This tends to be my go to flower for all my crochet patterns and honestly I'm not even sure at this point where I found the pattern I've been using it for so many years. The thing I love about it is you can add layers take away layers or change up the look by changing the fpsc to bpsc (back post single crochet). ok enough rambling.... on to the flower


Double layer flower


R1: 5 sc in magic ring. slst in first sc and tighten to form circle.


R2: ch2 slst in each st around ( you should have 5 ch 2 spaces) 


R3: ( sc, 4 hdc, sc) in each ch 2 space around. slst in first sc.


R4:  fpsc ch 3 in each post around slst 


R5: ( sc, 5hdc, sc) in each ch 3 space around slst in first sc ( now at this point as i was saying you can add layers. to add to the flower just repeat r4 adding 1 ch to each layer followed by rd 5 adding 1 hdc in the middle of the petal. ie for a third row r6 would be fpsc ch4 around r7 sc,5hdc,sc around)


* at this point I decided to make another 5sc magic ring in the color of my sandal and stitch it into the center of the flower so it was level and the same color if you want it all the same color leave it as is or if you want an center color but don't want it level you can just start your magic ring with one color and change to the flower color at R2 but this was just my preference for the look I wanted not a necessary step* 


Now onto attaching the flower 


R6: fpsc ch2 around slst in first st. the underside of the flower should look like this.


Step7: ch 3 fpsc in 4th st from ankle hdc in each ch, slst in ch2 space




Step 8: ch3 fpsc in 3rd post from last fpsc, hdc in each ch slst in post


Step 9-12: Repeat step 7 and 8 twice for a total of 6 attachments.

Step13: Ch 5 fpsc in bottom corner of the ankel, hdc in each st, slst in center of flower



Step 14: chain 11 slst in fist ch creating a loop.



Step 15: Ch 5 fpsc in bottom corner of the ankel, hdc in each st, slst  fasten off and weave in ends. 


At this point add a button or bobble slide your ankle strap through the loop, button and ta duh... we have a sandal! 




Please let me know what you think or if you have any issues. Until my next entry... happy crocheting! 


6 comments:

  1. So proud of you for starting your blog! They turned out so cute! Can your next blog post be "crocheting for dummies" cause I am clueless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I know its been a long time coming. As far a crocheting for dummies.. not sure I could tackle that one. It would have to be a video series that's for sure. I could always post a few videos of some basic stitches and get people started. Its a great idea.

      Delete
  2. Yeah.... I have dome new little ones and would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. be sure to let me know how the pattern works for you or if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete