Friday, July 13, 2012

The evolution of a Skyrim Cake

As I sit here waiting for a cake to finish baking and wishing I was at Comic Con back home, I figured I would feature the Skyrim launch cake. This cake came about as a big I'M SORRY to a friend of ours Allen. For 2 years my sister in law and I promised Allen we would make him a birthday cake and for 2 years he went with out for one reason or another. So this past year we were not about forget him and this cake had to be epic! As it turned out right around his birthday the GameStop store Allen works at was going to be having a huge midnight launch party for the game Skyrim. So the idea was hatched to make a Skyrim cake for Allen and if he wanted he could take it to the launch party. I took way to many pictures of the process because so many people ask us how we do things I figured it was a good cake to have a photo book from start to finish.... so enjoy 

I forgot to take a picture of his rice cake base but here is Skeletor with his fondant covering 
(yes we named each head as we were making them)

This is the carved base for Orc boy


 covered in fondant

Here is Normans carved rice crispy face


covered in fondant


Here are all three side by side ready for details and painting. 


My sister in law work on Norman... this was her first big fondant detail job
She was too funny worrying about how he looked. In the end she did a great job.


sill working out all the details


Here is Norman fully painted and read to go


Nex onto Orc boy. I worked on him and I think I took a ton of pictures because the camera was right next to me and he had the most detail work.


Strated his head detail with ropes just like his nose 


here they are once I finished the detail


Now I added lips and teeth


Now he is ready to pain


here he is after I added his mowhawk and paint job


side view


My mother in law did skeletor here he is all finished. 




 now we started to add them to the base



next we started on the hatching dragon egg


My mother in law did an awesome job painting and working out the details 


here i am making the dragon hand 






once we added the dragon egg we threw on some hand painted silver and gold fondant coins and blood





Here is the finished cake



Here is the cake at his launch party


Here is Allen with his cake. I hope the two years he waited was worth it!


And this is how we went from a batch of cake and rice crispies to an orcs head on a sword...happy gaming! 








No comments:

Post a Comment